No doubt, the adoption of the NDS marks a step ahead in policy planning and in policy monitoring systems in Kosovo. All Kosovo institutions will treat implementation of the NDS as a matter of “priority of priority”. The NDS will be at the heart of an Integrated Planning System. The following main principles will guide our approach:
- Measures listed in the NDS will be considered priorities in resource allocation until full financing and shall also be, strictly, monitored under the direct attention of the Prime Minister.
- The NDS measures shall be fully covered in terms of financing. They will be treated, preferentially in all processes of additional resource allocation from the state budget and/or development partners.
- Implementation of the NDS will be at the core of the government monitoring systems; thereby, threading towards an outcome and a performance assessment and reporting.
Key steps in the implementation of the National Development Strategy:
- Action Planning, building upon Guidelines detailing steps in implementing each NDS measure and covering a period of at least four years.
- Connection with other strategic planning frameworks and harmonization of NDS implementation efforts with the National SAA Implementation Program.
- The Government through its Ministry of Finance will secure Resource Allocation for the NDS, so that financial resources required for the NDS implementation are made available on time.
- Development and Employment Fund to be launched by the government, with its instruments, will support Kosovo’s economic sectors of higher growth potential. Its purpose is to support the private sector and serve as a key mechanism of economic growth and of job generation. Thus it will re-inforce NDS implementation throughout.
- Complimentary capacity development will be ensured by a better management system and necessary professional skills by making a strong connection between the NDS implementation and the Public Administration Reform process as well as capacity building assistance provided by Kosovo’s Development Partners.
- Progress Monitoring of implementation of NDS priorities will be responsibility of both, the Government Coordination Secretariat (GCS) and the SPO. Responsible implementing institutions will report on their progress quarterly. Civil society shall be regularly informed and involved.
- Performance assessment in the NDS implementation will be undertaken by the SPO in biannual intervals while a final assessment is planned to take place in the last year of its implementation. The SPO will present the Government an inclusive and an appropriate assessment methodology, the application of which will be entrusted to civil society networks in Kosovo. Findings of such assessment may present proposals for amendments in the NDS objectives and measures, the monitoring framework and indicators, and the resources allocated.